The San Diego International Airport is the closest airport to the La Jolla ceremony and reception sites, as well as to the hotels we have listed below.
We highly recommend flying in and out of the San Diego airport due to proximity. If you wish to travel from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), please note that travel time from Los Angeles to San Diego can take anywhere from two to four hours.
Most of the weekend wedding events will be taking place in La Jolla area. However, please note that our Saturday morning ceremony at the Escondido Gurdwara is about a 30 minute drive from the Village of La Jolla in the city of Escondido, CA.If you choose not to rent a car, we recommend booking your transportation to Escondido a day in advance via a ride share service or a local taxi service. Several options are listed below!LyftRide share is an affordable way to get around the La Jolla and Escondido area. You can book a Lyft ride up to a week in advance. To download the Lyft app to your smartphone, go to: https://www.lyft.com/app. Please note that you will need cellular service or wifi to use Lyft.First time users can use the following promo codes to receive a ride credit: SELINA30.Local TaxisSeveral taxi serivces come recommended in the La Jolla area:
- La Jolla Express Ride: (619) 200-7670
- Martina's Transportation: (858) 401-0877
- La Jolla Taxi: (858) 666-1116
- AK Cab: (619) 306-9761
Exploring San Diego
San Diego has been our home since April 2015, and we are so excited to have friends and family in town to celebrate during our wedding weekend! Here are some tips on places and activities to explore during your stay in San Diego.
Fun in the sun is one of San Diego's best qualities!
- Coronado Beach
- A picturesque, iconic beach near the world-famous Hotel Del Coronado
- La Jolla Shores Beach
- Nestled in "the Jewel" of San Diego, this beach is also closeby to La Jolla Cove where you can see sea lions and seals
- Ocean Beach
- A bit more laid-back of a beach experience; we love to go with our dog Caribou to the dog-friendly beach here.
San Diego is famous for its craft brewery scene, and there are multiple options in the different neighborhoods
- Ballast Point
- This is the flagship location of Ballast Point, home of the Sculpin IPA
- Green Flash
- Also a place to get Alpine brewery beers!
- Home of the Tony Gwynn Hall of Fame, and their tribute to him, .394 Pale Ale.
- North Park
- Mike Hess Brewery
- Belching Beaver
- This brewery is a bit more adventurous with their choices of featured flavors (try the Peanut Butter Stout)
- Thorn Brewery
- Fall Brewing Company
- Point Loma
- Modern Times
- This is the largest tasting room for Modern Times, and is also the site where our dog Caribou won 1st place in a contest for "dog looks like owner."
The San Diego Padres have one of the best ballparks in Major League Baseball. Who needs the Chargers?
One of our favorite parts of going to Padres games is the fact that so many local restaurants and breweries are featured here!
A "crown jewel" of San Diego, home to trails, museums, gardens and more. We both greatly enjoy spending time at Balboa Park.
- Museum Of Man
- Art Museum
- Natural History Museum
- We considered this museum as a location for the wedding!
- Botanical Building and Lily Pond
- Marston House Garden
- Casa Del Rey Moro Garden
- San Diego Zoo
- One of the best zoos around where you can see much of the animal kingdom's splendor
- Golf, frisbee golf, and soccer golf at the Balboa Park Golf Course
- Mark loves to play frisbee, and Selina is ok with that
- El Prado Bridge
- This picturesque bridge runs through the heart of Balboa Park and connects people to the museums, gardens, and many walking trails. You can also see the downtown skyline from here!
- Panama '66
- Closeby to the Plaza de Panama, this open-air eatery offers beer, cocktails and live music. A great place to relax and people watch!
Below you'll find some of our favorite places to eat in San Diego
- Tacos - San Diego knows Mexican food!
- Libertad Tacos
- This small taco shop opened up just around the corner from our home in Hillcrest, and donates its profits to a rotating charity. We love to pair a couple of tacos with micheladas
- City Tacos
- This was the first taco shop that we went to after moving to San Diego (with our friends Daniel & Kiira). It has a well-deserved reputation for fantastic tacos
- La Vecindad
- Also closeby to our home, La Vecindad offers a wide selection of tacos for a great price.
- Blue Water Seafood Market & Grill
- Mark's brother (and best man) Marshal first took us here when visiting San Diego in 2014. They have a great selection of fresh fish and can serve it up anyway you like. One of our favorite places in San Diego!
- Azuki Sushi in Banker's Hill
- Tajima Ramen in Hillcrest
- Pizza Port in Ocean Beach
- Great pizza paired with great beer by Port Brewing!
- Naked Cafe in Solana Beach
Each of the options below specializes in serving up imaginitive and delicious cocktails
- Polite Provisions in North Park
- Noble Experiment in East Village
- Cutwater Spirits in Miramar
- This organization is run by some of the original founders of Ballast Point Brewery